Sunday, 7 February 2010
"Fight the cuts!" Vote Claire for Education!
VOTE CLAIRE LAKER MANSFIELD NO.1 FOR EDUCATION OFFICER
With the recent announcement of another £2.5 billion to be cut from the education budget nationally, the student union leadership next year will need to be able to fight cuts both at Sussex and nationally. Not only do I have a clear strategy for this but I am also committed to representing students, individually or collectively, on education issues.
FIGHTING THE CUTS
I’m a member of Socialist Students and believe that a decent education should be a right for everyone. I have been involved in several campaigns at Sussex, for example I am a leading activist in the Stop the Cuts campaign and am currently organising Save Life Sciences. If elected I would:
• Organise mass opposition to cuts, job losses and fees.
• Fight for decent grants, bursaries and hardship funds.
• Use the national campaigns I’m involved in to link up Sussex’s struggle with others fighting attacks on education across the country.
I believe that a Student Union is all about representing the interests of students. For the last two years I’ve been elected to represent Life Sciences students on Union council. If elected I would:
• Demand the university open its finances to scrutiny of staff and students.
• Hold regular report backs from university meetings and a weekly surgery to hear your concerns regarding education and campaigns.
• Work closely with student reps and try to increase communication between course reps and union representatives.
LISTENING TO YOUR CONCERNS
Essentially the role of education officer is to not only defend decent education in general but to deal with any problems students may have such as disciplinary action or complaints. I am approachable, non judgemental and keen to help in whatever way possible using the full resources available to me in the position.