The proposed plans to merge in July the Phoenix Nursery with the One World creche in Mouslecoomb will likely result in the loss of five jobs not to mention the determinental impact on staff and students who rely on the childcare facilities.
Management had not even planned to inform staff or creche users until March, it wasn't even on the agenda at the Govenor's meeting. But word leaked out the anger amongst people was very clear today.
Socialist Students joined the demonstration with leaflets explaining the need for a united fightback at Brighton and Sussex Universities against cuts. As well as the raising the idea of a national fightback against education cuts.
It remains to be seen which way the board's decision will go but the Nursery workers are certainally not going to give up and campaign can only grow from here.
Socialist Party and Socialist Students Demands:
- No to the closure of Phoenix Nursery or any other services.
- Open the books! Let the representatives of trade and student unions examine the University's finances and plans for the closure.
- For a united fightback, unite the campaigns at Brighton and Sussex University.
- For immediate mass investment in childcare and education.
- For a fully funded, pubically owned and democratically run education system from preschool to University.